Monday, March 21, 2016

Service, Not A Job...... 3-21-16

This week might just be more of a list than a summary! 

-I made Sloppy Joe's for a family that always makes us food when we go over and we might have killed all of their taste buds. Apparently Ukrainians do not like spicy food at all. It was a great night. I think she will insist on making the food from now on. We really only eat at members homes about once a week. If we are lucky we get to twice, but then we go for a while with zero.  

-We have started approaching English Class differently and making sure it is more of a service for the people that come and not our job, and we have seen the numbers jump! At times we have had an average of 5 but now we hit 17 this last week so it has been great teaching that.  In English class we just teach themes or object lessons.... like we went over how to talk on the telephone and then linked it in with prayer this last week. For now, the only reason people come is for English. We eventually hope that it will lead to investigators.

- We really pushed this week and on Sunday we saw the fruits! We had 4-5 Less Actives show up! It is just as pleasing or even more than investigators when we see them come back to Church. We are getting somewhere.

-This week we were far from the apartment one day wondering around trying to find an apartment that could not be found. We had an appointment at a members house so when the time ran out we just went there. They helped us locate the house and after dinner we set off to go found it again. We stopped by and all of the relatives were there. The father (Grandfather to the children that live there) had passed away that morning. We were able to talk with them for a short bit. We tried to help them understand and be grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the Comforter, in the Holy Ghost. I told them that we were led there at that time and on that day and it was absolutely true. They had not answered the phone for nearly a month and we finally decided that day that we would go try to find where they live. There are a lot of traditions here regarding death. One is that you bury the person on the 3rd day after they died and then the 40 days of mourning. 

-Back in August I made a 6 month goal to finish the Book of Mormon in Russian and I have accompanied my English reading with that also. Today I got to Moroni 9 in each. I set the goal for the 22nd of March and will complete it tomorrow. For sure I am not fluent, or even close to it, but it is amazing to see how far I have come since I made all of those 6 month goals. I heard a quote this week.. "When we fail, we succeed" and I can attest to that completely. But, just like always when I was thinking how great I was that I had reached this point, I translated for the Senior Couple, the Mikkelsen's, in Church yesterday and it was a humbling experience. Lots of work to go. 

-I especially liked the verse Moroni 7:15. The imagery helps out a lot with me. I realized that this can only be achieved when we repeatedly choose the right over and over again. Through experience, we can see this difference in our choices. Moroni 7 is a great chapter overall about this. 

Hope everyone has a great week! 
Elder Devashrayee

We get an email every once in a while from the Senior Missionary couple - the Mikkelsen's - that Derek talks about. We got one from them this morning as well. Just thought I would include it. Always good to hear from adults that he is doing what he is supposed to be doing :)

We had your sons over for dinner last night after a long day at church.  They were kind enough to help us eat up the leftovers from an activity the night before.  They wanted to make sure that you saw them eating their veggies!  I can tell you those two can eat, it was fun to watch them.  They are a blessing to this mission and this area. They are making a wonderful difference here. Thanks for sharing them with us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment