Monday, March 28, 2016

Lime Cupcakes & Sunrise Volleyball..... 3-28-16

This last week was a good one. We held Zone Meeting and it seemed to have went well. The Odessa Zone is awesome and going strong. We have seen some people in the ward really change their lives around and they are now regulars at Church on Sunday. 

We also made some sort of Lime cake Cupcakes to take around to people this week instead of just cookies. It really is amazing how food can open doors for us, even with a smile, sometimes ;)

Had an interesting interaction on the street this week. We called some numbers from the Area Book and a man decided to meet with us at a park. We walked around while he pushed his baby girl in a stroller for a good 30 minutes, we were barely being able to get in a word. At one point, he walked into some friends that were part of the Pravoslavny Church and they started arranging the baptism of his infant right in front of Elder Glade and I. I had my finger in Mormon 8 and was itching to say something... it was if they just didn't even think we were there. Later I asked to give my opinion of baptism and they seemed surprised and gave me a moment. I asked if they understood the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how that related to baptizing an infant and then mentioning that she had no choice at all in the matter and to do it was incorrect. They quickly said "Babies cannot decide to be fed, but do we feed them?" It was interesting to say the least, and we parted ways with his friends and again I was talking with the man pushing the baby. In my mind I was not reassured that I said the right thing, or what I was supposed to do but when we were about to leave the baby woke up and we gave the man a pamphlet with the picture of Jesus Christ on the front. He handed it to his daughter and she then had the biggest smile. At that point I knew that what I had said was out of love and that even though it could have come off impolite, I said what needed to be said. 

 We were able to wake up early one of the days this week and go play beach volleyball! It was so fun. 

I had an exchange with Elder Habel this week. He is from Montana and loves to play basketball also. He is a very outdoorsy Elder and we were able to help lay some rocks/old bricks in the big pot-holes in the roads of his area. His area is awesome, but nothing beats Center:) 

We had a Mini-MTC this week for all of the members in Odessa. A lot of members from my first area were there and more importantly my favorite grandma in all of Ukraine! Grandma Lidia! I caught her eye and she yelled for me to "Come here" and she gave me the biggest hug. I wasn't sure what to do at first but then just hugged her back. She did not disappoint! She got mad at an Elder for not paying attention when she was talking to him and not keeping eye contact and then physically took some Elders' hands out of their pockets. In disgust, she came to me and asked for me to help them become Real Missionaries! It was good to see her again. I learned from the best! This weeks wisdom comes from her directly. 

1. Have a "Listening Spirit". It shows your love and soul that each of us has, but not many people know how to access. 

2. Every day ask: What do I wan't to become? What does God want? How can I really become a Missionary/ Man/ Brother/ Son/ Husband/ etc. and overcome my natural self? How can I truly become a representative of Christ? 

3. Paul taught to always have an answer.. We discussed this and I told her about the talk from last conference from President Nelson (correct me if I'm wrong) about having a short answer. She agreed and asked me what a short answer was. I waiting a second and then she replied, "humility." 

4. Either she forgot throughout the meeting, or she thought it was really important, but she read Mosiah 2:41 to me a couple times. Check it out. 

Hope everyone has a great week and maybe even Easter? Conference? Not sure. Our Easter here is celebrated in May.
-Elder Devashrayee 

Derek included a bunch of photos he titled "Artsy, best picture taking missionary in history here." I will put a couple here at the end, but there are others in the photos to the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment