Monday, February 1, 2016

Upped My Personal Courage....... 2/1/16

This last week was great. Busy is always a good thing. My "son" officially had his first шаурма and as a father, it was a touching moment. 
 
Elder Glade's first Waypma, great excuse for me to get one too!

We were able to teach a lot of lessons this week. We met with a man that had been previously taught, then I taught him once 6 weeks ago. Then he showed up at Church one day lat week and had completely turned his life around. It is amazing what the Gospel can do for people. It is my favorite to just say what needs to be said upfront and then watch the Holy Ghost work with them. 

This last week I would say I have upped my personal courage in proclaiming the Gospel and teaching repentance and I have seen the result of it in my life and in those who I teach. The worst part of this week was in the grocery store running into "Joe". He realized that we were american and started to talk with us in English. Found out he was from Texas and traveling the world. Noticing from all that he was buying, I knew he wasn't up to much good but started to talk with him. He asked a lot of questions about the MTC and questions that seemed like he knew something about missionaries. In the closing 10 seconds as he took his groceries and paid for them he mentioned that he used to be a missionary and the "3rd highest baptizer in his mission" or whatever, and then said he realized the Church wasn't for him. I replied with, "I'm sorry," and just like that he was gone. I was so stunned that he used to be a missionary. I thought of the people he had taught. The people he testified to. The people who he taught the commandments to. As he walked out of the door I yelled, "Come back!" but that was the last of him. While walking home and thinking over that, I wish I had that moment back. I wish I could have been like Elder Holland and "singed his eyebrows off." But at the same time I wonder if talking with us would be enough and his chance to come back.

I read a verse this morning that actually went right with this and seems a little rough, but it is the justice of God. Sometimes Enduring to the End just gets thrown into the list of what people need to do to live with Heavenly Father again. I realized that sometimes I tail off with this last step. The verse in 3 Nephi 27:17 made it clear to me. Every day the Lord tests our faith. The moment I give someone advice is when I get tested on it 2x harder than before. We are seeing miracles here in Central Odessa: a 10% heart surgery going well and full-recovery is imminent, people showing up out of no where wanting to be taught, and also my cooking is slowly getting a little more expansive, not just Borscht and potato something....
Made some pasta this week. Notice the veggies in there Mom :)

I read my patriarchal blessing for the first time in a while and was grateful to have received it. My own personal scripture. If you haven't read it in a while, go and read it! If you don't have one, go get it! 

We haven't seen the sun a lot lately, but it did try to peek through the clouds the other day. It's cold and snowy, but we still have work to do. Staying warm on the inside helps with the cold outside.
Cheers,
Elder Devashrayee

No comments:

Post a Comment