Monday, January 18, 2016

Power Behind The Fast...... 1-18-16

This week was full of tiny things that added up to be a lot and I am excited to tell you about them! Elder Western and I set a goal for a record on lessons in general for the week (member, less-active, or investigators) and set off to accomplish it. A lot happened and long story short we were able to reach that number. We visited a lot of members homes and the people here are awesome. We are able to just sit and listen as a number of the members recounted their conversion story. It is easy to forget here that seriously everyone are converts and that I have been a member of the church longer than most people here. 

We were able to learn the real power of a fast this week and received one of the fastest/clearest answer to a prayer I have really ever seen. It was amazing, and out of it we have a baptism coming up this Saturday! I'm pumped. We were also able to meet with a fellow who loves to read the Book of Mormon and just met and read with him a number of times this week. Not much we could put in about doctrine, but we will see what the Book of Mormon can do for him! 

Found out on Saturday that Elder Western will be going up to Kiev to serve in the Borshagovsky area (they are splitting my last area in half and he is taking one of the halves) and then I will head up to Kiev also and pick up my new greenie and bring the jet-lagged Elder to Odessa with me! I am pumped and I know that Elder Western will do great in Kiev. I have learned a lot from him and he is already a very capable Elder in taking 4 semesters of Russian and being away at college for 2 years. Gonna miss my boy... hahah it is like going to drop him off at the MTC. 

The thing I learned from this last transfer was that there is a reason for Left Overs... I learned to love leftovers this past transfer so victory for you Mom. I always cook so that we have leftovers now. Easy and fast when we don't have a lot of time. My cooking skills have improved.

We might be in store for a hugggge snowstorm here. We woke up Sunday morning to about 6 inches and then in kept snowing throughout the day and I am thinking we reached about a foot total yesterday. Sunday night we had an appointment for dinner at the Senior Missionary couple's home. All of our investigators backed out due to the snow, but the meal was awesome, especially her rolls! Here we are getting ready to head back outside after a wonderful meal!

We woke up this morning and our door to the building was snowed-in so we had to push it out and noticed that another good foot of snow had fallen over night and and maybe even more. It was kinda cool walking the streets so early in the morning through a blizzard. We wanted to get to the church to email home before it snowed even more.

The city just shuts down when snow falls so we just walked right down the main street all the way to the Church. The wind here is crazy so there are snow drifts everywhere and it looks like a white Sahara in some places. I am probably being dramatic but it has snowed a lot in the last few days and if it keeps up it might be a really slow week. 
My White Sahara

Biggest thing I learned this week was:

Helaman 10:4-5, We had an experience previously mentioned about fasting. It started off like any other fast and then in studies I was hit with a headache and when I looked at the book to read all I could see was blue dots and my vision was horrible.. I figured I was just being tested and such because of the fast so we kept moving forward. Next, we had an appointment with an investigator where my patience was tested to the max and then at one point I realized, "darn, another test" so we got through that and then had District Meeting where my head was on the brink of dying.  But then eventually we got to our evening lesson and were hit with a miracle. The moment I thought of everything as a test of my faith was when I was able to get through it all. Then when our prayers were answered... Helaman 11:14. 

At one point this week I realized that one of the unique things we tell people is that we have a modern day prophet. I thought about it and could only pick out a few things from his last talk and came to a realization that we should probably know exactly what he said last! We read over it and had a great discussion and were able to share a lot of points on it with families this week. I need to always be able to answer this question... "What did your modern day prophet say last?" I would invite everyone to read, listen, or even study over his talk and be that light in the world.

Cheers,
Elder Devashrayee

No comments:

Post a Comment