Monday, October 27, 2014

Elder Eiker, Branch Activity and Miracles.....10-27-14

Well the great week of changes has come to an end and things are starting to settle in - that feels really good! So This past Wednesday I had yet another experience with cars and traveling. Elder Abel and I were waiting at 6 in the morning for the Bus to pass by that lets us put the luggage beneath. There was another pair of missionaries that were also going to the main terminal in Montevideo and they called us when they got on and that is when we knew that it was going to be passing in about 5 minutes.... Well... that didn't happen. It took the main highway right before passing by us in Delta! I had to be in the Terminal by 7:30 and luckily we both thought about calling our mission leader in the branch. He was just leaving his house to go to work in Montevideo and took us there! We showed up at 7:20 :) Traveling in the mission has been quite the training for me. Then I couldn't even get to say a good bye to the kid, but I'll be seeing him again soon! 

That same day I went to the Temple to pick up my new comp Elder Eiker. He is from Los Angeles California and has quite the LA Lakers gear! He loves basketball :) We should be getting along really well too! He has 8 months in the mission and has a ton of fire coming back to the mission. I really admire him for the testimony he has for just being a 2 1/2 year convert. His faith is strong and he wants to do what the Lord has in store for Delta. 

We were able to go through the temple and the answers I received were amazing. I was thinking a lot about what we can do and how to do it better, and the same phrase kept popping into my mind ¨Have Miracles Ceased to Exist?¨ I know that the Lord has great things in store for Delta and is asking for us to act with even more faith so the miracles come. I know He works through our faith. We also planned with the New President and Matias how we can work better with all of the members in our branch.  We set up an activity for last Saturday night. We spent the week visiting members and inviting them, as well as the investigators we have. It turned out to be a huge success! Around 35 people came and everyone loved it! We made brownies too :) Those were gone pretty quick haha. 

We also had a cool experience Saturday. We had talked to this guy named Gonzalo last week and he is a Christian Rapper. We went back and we started talking about the Gospel of Christ and the importance of being obedient and faithful to those principles. But he soon started asking us questions about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and asking us for examples in the Bible where it says that he was going to be a Prophet, and where is the Book of Mormon. He actually got to the point where he told me specifically to stop reading the Book of Mormon. I was able to respond to him that I couldn't do that and he asked me why. What literally came out of me was ¨because I would be denying Christ.¨ I couldn't even believe what I said and I know that the Spirit works with us when we trust in him. 

It was one of the coolest experiences I have had testifying of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. I know that it is the Word of God and another Testament of Christ and His Atonement. I'm so grateful to have that Book with me every day and then to be able to study it. This week Mormon 9: 27-28 stood out to me. Salvation needs to be worked for and the Lord will make up the difference. He loves us and wants us to make the most of the time we have here on Earth to do good and be obedient. I know this is His Church and he directs this great work. Love you all and have a great week!!
                 ELDER Devashrayee
My Mission President & Sister Smith, Elder Eiker (my new comp) and myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment